128th Australian General Hospital
From Our Contribution
Base Hospital, Port Moresby was formed in Port Moresby in April 1941 to service the expanding garrison. In March 1942 they moved to Kings Hollow , and then to the base area of Koitaki where they were re-organised and in June given the new title of 46th Australian Camp Hospital. As the Japanese advanced south of Kokoda, they were withdrawn from the outskirts of Port Moresby to Kings Hollow in August, returning to the Sogeri region when the Japanese were forced back up the track, and they were expanded in May 1943 to become the 128th Australian General Hospital. While they were scheduled to move to Lae in early 1944, this move was cancelled, instead relieving the 2/5th Australian general Hospital in Bootless Inlet in April 1944.
the 128th Australian General Hospital left New Guinea in August 1944, moving to Tamworth in New South Wales, before relieving the 2/4th Australian General Hospital at Redbank in November to act as the receival point for casualties arriving from the north by Hospital Ship or Ambulance Train. Here they were to absorb the 28th, 29th and 30th Hospital Laundry Units in May and remained here for the rest of the war.
April - August 1944 Port Moresby, Papua, New Guinea
October 1944 - 1945 Redbank, Brisbane
- Maxwell John Buckingham 13 - 17 Jan 1945 & 3-7 Feb 1945
- Albert Chamberlain 1 May - 26 Jun 1945
- Joseph Reginald Layton 21 - 27 Aug 1945
Content has come from The Unit Guide - Volume 4 - The Australian Army 1939-1945, page 4.111 - Graham R McKenzie-Smith - Big Sky Publishing - 2018