From Our Contribution
Revision as of 03:08, 22 October 2021 by Linton
|Owner||Shaw, Saville & Albion Line|
|Builder||Harland & Wolff, Belfast|
|Launched||26 May 1910|
|Out of service||1950|
|Type||Passenge / cargo|
|Speed||13 knots (24.08 km/h)|
|Capacity||6 x 1st class, 1,000 x steerage|
Built for the Shaw, Saville & Albion Line to carry immigrants to Australia / New Zealand via the Cape of Good Hope, and return with frozen meat. She had an extra large funnel to aid a draught for her boilers, and to keep the smoke of the decks. Could carry 6 x 1st class pasengers and 1,000 in steerage.
At various times during WW1 she was known as HMNZT 65 and MHNZT 82. The numbers indicating voyage number, so she made two journeys from New Zealand to England with troops.
Post Hostilities she resumed cargo services between Britain and New Zealand until 1939when she was sold to the admiralty as a dummy battleship and re-named H.M.S Revenge, having her stern altered to resemble that of a cruiser, of the 'Royal Sovereign ' class. She was to retain her altered shape for the rest of her life. In 1941 she was transferred to the 'Ministry of War Transport ' and used as a refrigerated cargo vessel with the new name of Empire Pakeh and she was managed by Shaw Savill & Albion once again.
Renamed back to her original Pakeha in 1946 when she was handed back to the Shaw, Saville and Albion Line who converted her into a meat storage hulk. She was sold to Thomas W Ward of Briton Ferry in 1950 and scrapped.