Actions

HMS Clacton

From Our Contribution

Revision as of 23:39, 22 October 2021 by Linton (talk | contribs) (Remarks)
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
HMS Clacton
HMS Clacton.jpg
Wrecksite.eu
History
Name HMS Clacton
Owner Admiralty
Builder Earle's Shipbuilding & Engineering Co Ltd, Hull
Yard number 488
Completed 1905
In service 7 Oct 1914
Out of service 3 Aug 1916
Reclassified Minesweeper, mercantile conversion
Fate Torpedoed and sunk 1917
General characteristics
Type Auxiliary minesweeper
Tonnage 820 tons
Length 74.7m
Beam 9.5m
Propulsion 2 screw
Speed 13.5 knots



Remarks

A passenger ship converted to Auxiliary minesweeper, the Clacton participated in the Gallioli Campaign of 1915, and afterwards remained active in the Aegean Sea until it was sunk on 3 Aug 1916 by U-Boat U-73 at Chai Aghizi in the northern Aegean Sea with the loss of 5 personnel. Was used to evacuate walking and lightly wounded from Gallipoli, possibly to the hospitals at Mudross on Lemnos Island.

The day before ( 29 May 1915) the Clacton carried Bernard O'Reilly from Gallipoli to Mudross, it had been tasked with running ammunition and stores to the peninsula.

Armament

2 x 12 pounders

Battle Honours

  • Gallipoli

Soldiers carried

Gallipoli to Mudross 30 May 1915