From Our Contribution
Revision as of 15:30, 1 July 2019 by Linton
|Builder/Built||1899 Harland & Wolff, Ltd, Glasgow|
|Type||Passenger / cargo ship|
Built for the Union-Castle Line and used on the South Afric route until World War 1, when she was used first as a troop ship carrying ANZAC troops to the Gallipoli campaign, and later as a Hospital Ship. As a Hospital Ship she could carry 366 wounded passengers.
On 28 Oct 1916, as she was entering Le Havre she hit a mine laid by the Uboat UC-26. While no patients were aboard at the time, some 19 Royal Army medical Corps personnel perished. Although able to be beached at Cap la Hogue, she was a total loss.
Anzac Cove 2 May 1915
- William Edward Reed transfer to HMHS Delta 3 May 1915
- George Young transferred to HMHS Delta 3 May 1915