22nd Australian Auxiliary Hospital
From Our Contribution
While at least one website speaks of the 22nd Auxiliary Hospital as being established at "The Rocks" Albany, Pte Raine's military records speak of him being admitted to the 22nd at Wooroloo. Other returned servicemen with TB were also sent to Wooroloo so it might be that the location changed prior to May 1915.
Wooroloo Sanatorium or Hospital, was established by the State Government in response to the infectious diseases, such as typhoid, diphtheria and tuberculosis, that were widely prevalent in the aftermath of the mass migration that came as a result of the gold rushes in Western Australia in the early part of the twentieth century.
Emphasis was placed on the treatment of tuberculosis through the provision of fresh air and sunlight. The Wooroloo Sanatorium comprised 36 major buildings constructed between 1914 and 1917 and is the only large scale purpose-built tuberculosis sanatorium in Western Australia.
Returned servicemen suffering TB were admitted to a section known to the military as the 22nd Auxiliary Hospital.