31st AWAS Barracks
From Our Contribution
31 AWAS Barrack was opened at Hobbs Hall, Karrakatta in April 1943 as a Leave & Training Depot (LTD) for up to 100 AWAS personnel either going on or returning from leave, or attending short term courses in Perth. In October 1944 they absorbed the neighboring 20 AWAS Barracks, expanding to cater for 200 personnel. In January 194 the 6 Army Women's Service Training Company at Guildford was disbanded and the staff attached to 31 AWAS Barrack to continue training until the end of the war. The AWAS was disbanded in June 1947.
- Marie Marguerite Gwynne 18 Oct 1944 to 24 Oct 1944
Established in August 1941, the AWAS recruited women between 18 and 45, and more than 24,000 women nationwide enlisted during WWII. Women received wages only two-thirds of the male equivalent. The AWAS had 71 barracks nationwide, supporting women who completed a variety of different roles such as Transport Drivers, Cooks, Typistes, Orderlies, Assistants, Telephonists, Canteen Attendants, Draughtswomen, Photographers, Photowriters, W/T Operators, Driver/Mechanics, Tailoresses, Waitresses, Textile Refitters, Equipment Repairers, Intelligence duties and Cypher duties
Content has come from The Unit Guide - Volume 6 - The Australian Army 1939-1945, page 6.025 - Graham R McKenzie-Smith - Big Sky Publishing - 2018