Western Command Bulk Issue Petrol and Oil Depot
From Our Contribution
Weston Command's BIPOD was initiated at Swan Barracks in Jan 1942, and established on the ground at Karrakatta a month later. IN March it moved to Melville, and then to Naval Base. Their strength increased to match the task in April and reached their permanent Headquarters' location at Salter's Point in June 1942. Their main depot was located at Forrestdale where fuel in drums was railed to the Forrestdale siding and then carried by truck to dispersed areas with drums placed under trees around Lake Forrestdale.
They also maintained depots around Perth, Moora, Mullewa, Geraldton and Cunderdin. Later they opened depots at Port Hedland, Broome, Derby and Onslow. With the war moving away from WA and the troops as well, the need for these depots decreased and the depots handed back to oil companies. The unit's name changed to W Comd BIPOD in December 1944, and at the conclusion of the war the unit was in the process of disbanding.
Members of the unit
Content for the history and honours sections has come from The Unit Guide - The Australian Army 1939-45,