Edward Stanley James
Courtesy Merle Beltz
|Date of Birth||11 Aug 1899|
|Place of Birth||Armadale, Western Australia|
|Death||12 Aug 1962, aged 63|
|Place of Death||South Perth, Western Australia|
|Age at Enlistment||18 years, 6 months|
5'10" (1.78m) tall ; 137 lbs|
62.142 kg; fresh complexion ; grey eyes ; brown hair
|Religion||Church of England|
|Address||'Carlington', Armadale, Western Australia|
|Next of Kin||Father , Mr Thomas James|
|Date of Enlistment||31 Jan 1918|
|Unit/Formation||Signallers', April 1918 Reinforcements: 4th Aust Signals Company / 4th Division|
|Date of Embarkation||1 May 1918 ‒ 14 Jun 1918|
|Ship Embarked On||HMAT A14 Euripides Sydney to New York|
|Date of Embarkation||14 Jun 1918 ‒ 2 Jul 1918|
|Ship Embarked On||HMT Teutonic New York to Liverpool|
|Date of Return||25 Sep 1919 ‒ 3 Nov 1919|
|Ship Returned On||SS Mahana|
|Fate||Returned to Australia|
Armadale War Memorial (Armadale panel) |
Armadale and Districts Roll of Honour
British War Medal |
Entered Blackboy Hill camp on 4 Feb 1918, but he received only a month's general training before being sent to the Wireless Training School in Sydney. A further month's specialised training followed before travelling to England via New York.
On arrival in England he was posted to the No 2 camp at Park House. Proceeded to France on 30 Sep 1918 via Dover and reached his unit's base depot at Abbeville on 1 Oct 1918, five days before he joined the unit proper in the field.
At the end of Apr 1919 he was sent to England on leave, after which he reported to the AIF HQ in London on 5 May 1919 where he was promoted Temporary Corporal.
Discharged at 5th Military District 26 Nov 1919.
Married Daphne Alice Hill in 1930. Between 1963 and 1980 Daphne was at 5 Vista St, Kensington. She died in South Perth on 25 Oct 1989, aged 96.
Electoral Roll entries - 1922 Teacher at Greenough School House; 1925 62 Subiaco road, Subiaco; 1931 With Daphne at 18 St Alban's Ave, North Perth; 1936 - 37 at 57 Third avenue Maylands; 1943 at 56 Lawley crescent; 1949 - 54 now a clerk at 39 Esplanade, South Perth; 1958 at 76 Mill Point-road, South Perth.