HMAT A39 Port Macquarie
From Our Contribution
Courtesy Tyne Built Ships and John Ingram
|Name||HMAT A39 Port Macquarie|
|Builder/Built||1912 Hawthorn Leslie, at Hebburn|
|Type||Passenger / refrigerated cargo (single screw)|
Built for the Anglo-Australasian Steam Navigation Co Ltd (Milburn Line), by 1914 she was owned by the Commonwealth and Dominion Line (Port Line), and was leased by the Commonwealth until 13 Jan 1917 during which time she made five journeys with troops to either Egypt or England. Management of the ship was taken over by the British Admiralty from 13 Jan 1917.
In 1927 ownership changed to William Thomas Shipping Co Ltd who renamed her Cambrian Marchioness. Ownership changed again in 1928, and then in 1929 the Clan Line took ownership, renaming her Clan Grant. In 1935 she was sold to the British and South American Steam Navigation, Co, Ltd. Sold for the last time in 1939 to the Stanhope Steamships Co Ltd of London who renamed her Stanhope. On 13 Oct 1940, while a part of convoy HX-77 from Hampton Roads to Belfast, she was torpedoed and sunk by U-Boat U37, 120 miles (220km) north west of St Kilda. * lives were lost.