HMAT A7 Medic
|Name||HMAT A7 Medic|
|Builder/Built||1899 Harland & Wolff,Belfast|
|Type||Passenger / cargo vessel (twin screw)|
- 1 Remarks
- 2 Soldiers carried
- 3 Fremantle to Alexandria 2 November - 5 December 1914
- 4 Fremantle to Alexandria 9 October 1915 - ??
- 5 Fremantle to Alexandria 18 January - 16 February 1916
- 6 Fremantle to Port Suez 31 March - 24 April 1916
- 7 Melbourne to Plymouth 20 May - 18 July 1916
- 8 Sydney to Halifax 1 August - 21 September 1917
- 9 England to Fremantle 24 August - 15 October 1918
- 10 England to Melbourne 10 April - 31 May 1919
- 11 Bombay to Fremantle 1 - 22 December 1919
Built for the Oceanic Steam Navigation Co Ltd (White Star Line), and used on the UK to Sydney via Cape Town route. Capable of carrying 320 cabin class passengers.
Her first return trip involved carrying Victorian, Tasmanian and Western Australian troops to the Boer War.
Leased by the Commonwealth at the outset of WW1, she made six journeys from Australia as a troop ship after which her management was transferred to he British Admiralty. The Medic was a participant in the 1st convoy from Albany to Egypt. On her return to Australia she was converted at Cockatoo Island Drydock to transport 531 troops and 500 horses.
Fremantle to Alexandria 2 November - 5 December 1914
Note: Embarked from Fremantle on 31 October 1914 and anchored for two days before sailing on 2 November 1914, which is the date that appears on original records.
- Alexander Barnett
- Walter Bell Blair
- James (Roy) Braidwood MM MID
- Leonard Henry (Lennie) Buckingham MM
- John James Lynes Chester
- Edward (Ted) Harry Darby
- Frederick Fancote
- Cecil Arthur Hill MM
- Charles Richard Irvine MM & Bar
- James Anthony Parker
- Arthur Pilgrim
- Henry John Robert Saint
- Josiah James Skinner
- William Stephens
- John Wesley Gladstone Turner
Fremantle to Alexandria 9 October 1915 - ??
- Walter Raymond Farnham as a stowaway
Fremantle to Alexandria 18 January - 16 February 1916
- John Richard Lewis
- Frederick Thornton Lindley
- William Mathews
- Aubrey Walter (Swazz) Mead
- Charles Robert Merchant
- Richard Edgar Riley
- Albert Edward John Walls