NSW Line of Communication General Details Depot
From Our Contribution
With the outbreak of war in August 1939 an Eastern Command Recruit & Reinforcement Reception Depot was established at the Showgrounds in Moore Park, Sydney. Later, withthe expansion of the AIF, the training depot was moved to Greta and a separate Eastern Command Recruit & Reinforcement Reception Depot was established in May 1940 at the Showground where they received, inducted and allocated the recruits to Corps training units. By Dec 1940 this unit had expanded and was then know as the Eastern Command General Details Depot acting as a transit camp for units and individual troops. It included both recruit reception and discharge functions.
The unit expanded again in January 1942, and in April it was renamed as the NSW Line of Communications Area General Details Depot, before again being split in September 1942. The Recruit Reception function remained at the Showground while a NSW Line of Communication Area Leave & Transit Depot was established at Marrickville. In November 1943 the training system had changed and the recruit reception depot function's role had contracted such that it rejoined the renamed NSW Line of Communication Area Recruit Reception & General Details Depot. A last change occurred in July 1945 when a separate NSW Line of Communication Area Discharge Depot was formed at the Showground to handle the demobilisation at the end of the war.
- Stanley George Jarick 18 Nov - 19 Dec 1943
- Harold George Bell 19 Feb - 3 Mar 1945
- Nathaniel Fergus Gallager 10 Aug 1945 - ??Sep 1945
- Walter Leonard Axford ?? May - 18 Aug 1945