US Congressional Library det.4a12543
|Builder/Built||1897 F. Schichau of Danzig|
|Type||Ocean Liner (twin screw)|
Built for the Norddeutscher-Lloyd Line to service the transatlantic route from Bremen to New York. On 30 Jun 1900 she was caught in a fire on the wharf at New Jersey and ended up running aground.
Rebuilt and lengthened, her tonnage was now 11,540. Laid up during WW1.
After the war (4 Apr 1919) she was given to the British P & O Line as part of war reparations. Two years later she was sold to the Byron Steam Ship Company and renamed Constantinople.
In 1922 she was again renamed to King Alexander, before being scrapped in Italy during 1929.