William George Russell
|Date of Birth||20 Aug 1893|
|Place of Birth||Latrobe, Tasmania|
|Death||11 May 1938|
|Place of Death||East Witchcliffe, Western Australia|
|Age at Enlistment||21 years, 6 months|
5'9" (1.75m) tall ; 157 lbs|
71.214 kg; dark complexion ; brown eyes ; dark brown hair ; scar on left knee
|Religion||Church of England|
|Address||Jarrahdale, Western Australia|
|Next of Kin||Brother , Mr Patrick Russell|
|Date of Enlistment||4 Feb 1916|
|Unit/Formation||44th Battalion, D Company transferred to 57th Battalion /15th Brigade, 5th Division|
|Date of Embarkation||6 Jun 1916 ‒ 20 Jul 1916|
|Ship Embarked On||HMAT A29 Suevic|
|Date of Return||22 Jul 1917 ‒ 13 Sep 1917|
|Ship Returned On||HMAT A71 Nestor|
|Fate||Returned to Australia (medical)|
Jarrahdale Honour Roll |
ANZAC Memorial Park (Byford)
British War Medal |
Had tried to enlist in Kalgoorlie during 1915 but rejected due to defective teeth.
At Claremont camp on 26 Mar 1916 William, a member of the 44th Battalion, was charged with Using insubordinate and obscene language towards a Non Commisioned Officer. Found guilty, he was fined 5/- (50 cents).
Hospitalised while on the journey to England (12 Jul 1916), on arrival at Devonport on 20 Jul 1916, Wlliam was admitted to the Devonport General Hospital. On 14 Aug 1916 William was transferred to No 2 Command Depot in Weymouth, before transferring to the 57th Battalion on 11 Nov 1916.
Received treatment for influenza as a patient from 6 - 11 Jan 1917, and then on 30 Apr 1917 at Wimereux he was charged with drunkenness while on Active Service, for which he was awarded 7 days Field Punishment No.1, and fined £1/15/- ($3.50).
This led to him being returned to the 5th Division's base Depot on 8 May 1917, and in turn to England on 22 May 1917. On arrival he was sent to the No.2 Command Depot at Weymouth for return to Australia due to the impact an old injury on his left knee (railway accident), agravated by a fall, was restricting his usefulness. Found to be fit for home duties only he was sent home.
Discharged by 5th Military District on 1 Oct 1917.