Air Armament School RAAF

From Our Contribution


Brief History

Little is known about this unit. Assistance in expanding this page would be appreciated.

On 13 December 1943 the RAAF Armament School relocated from Hamilton to Nhill airfield, with the first course commencing the following day. The unit was renamed as the Air Armament School on 15 Jan 1944 and later renamed again to the Air Armament and Gas School. Initially it comprised 688 personnel with 3 Bristol Beaufort; 6 Avro Anson; 3 Wirraway and 1 Moth Minor aircraft.

The disbandment of Air Gunnery School at RAAF West Sale on 27 Nov 1945 brought an end to the school in name only, as a nucleus detachment moved to RAAF Station East Sale and became the Air Armament School. Three men died while posted to the unit, 1 of illness and two suffered accidental deaths.



External Links