Fixed Defences Fremantle

From Our Contribution


Brief History

When mobilisation occurred during December 1941, command arrangements for the defence of Fremantle were split between Infantry and the coastal batteries. Fremantle Covering Force was formed at North Fremantle to coordinate those headquarters. In July 1944 the unit was transformed into Fremantle Area Defence with increased manning of the guns by VDC members. At the beginning of 1944 Fremantle Area Defence moved to Melville camp, before again being restructured in February 1944, and then in July they were renamed Fremantle Fortress when moving to the Artillery Barracks in Fremantle. In November 5th Garrison Battalion, 19th Garrison Battalion and 29th Garrison Company were disbanded, followed in December by most of the Anti-Aircraft units, while most of the coastal batteries went into care and maintenance. This left only a shrinking 10th Garrison Battalion and in July the HQ unit's name was changed to Fixed Defences Fremantle.

Unit Personnel


Content has come from The Unit Guide - Volume 2 - The Australian Army 1939-1945, page 2.163 - Graham R McKenzie-Smith - Big Sky Publishing - 2018

External Links