Gosnells War Memorial

From Our Contribution
Jump to: navigation, search
Gos1.jpg
Monument Details
Name Gosnells War Memorial
Location Albany Highway Gosnells, north east side of the Albany Highway bridge over the Canning River.
Dedication Date 6th Nov 1921

History

Setting

Set on a raised mound in the parkland between the City of Gosnells Administration Centre and the northeast bank of the Canning River at Gosnells.

Description

A polished marble obelisk with names of WW1 deaths on three sides, with WW2 names (22) and Post WW2 names on brass plaques attached to the base on two sides. The design and materials are similar to the Kelmscott Memorial built at the same time.

Monument Details

North Side

This Monument
is erected to perpetuate the
memory of the soldiers from the
Gosnells Road Board District
who made the supreme sacrifice
in the Great War 1914 - 1919
and whose names appear hereon.
This memorial was unvailed by
His Excellency Sir Francis Newdegate, K.C.M.G.,
Governor of Western Australia on 6th Nov 1921.
The Foundation Stone of this Memorial was laid by
the Hon. W.J. George, C.M.G., M.L.A on 24th April 1921.

East Side