From Our Contribution
courtesy The Wartime Memories Project
|Type||Ocean Liner (twin screw)|
Built for the Royal Mail Steam Packet Company, she served as a Hospital Ship during the war. Carried 11 Medical Officers, 16 Nurses and 76 other medical staff, she could cater for 42 Officer casualties, 249 in cots, and 298 in Berths. Operating from 2 Sep 1915 following her completion to 12 Sep 1919.
The Essequibo was a British hospital ship loaned to the Canadian Government in 1917 as one of the five Canadian hospital ships for ww1 for the transatlantic run. The Essequibo was stopped (after two warming shots) and searched by U-Boat U54 off Ireland on 15 Mar 1917, confirmed as a Hospital Ship, she was sent on her way.
In 1922 ownership was transferred to Pacific Steam Navigation Company who in turn in sold her to the USSR who renamed her Neva.