From Our Contribution
|Builder/Built||1907 Caird & Co, Greenock|
|Type||Passenger / cargo ship|
Owned by the Union Company of New Zealand, she was initially built for the Trans Tasman service, but she was transferred to the Vancouver and San Francisco mail routes, before due to the “Great War” she was converted to become a hospital ship in 1915.
SS Marama was able to accommodate a total of 488 passengers being made up of; 270 Saloon Class, 120 Second Class and 98 fore cabin passengers.
Medical Staff strength was 12 Medical Officers, 24 Nurses and 62 Others. She was equipped to look after 21 injured Officers, 72 cots and 507 in berths.
After war service she was refitted (1920) for the trans-Pacific services to San Francisco or Vancouver. In 1925 she was converted to burn oil, and employed on the Tasman run. She was sold to Shanghai shipbreakers in 1937, then resold to Kobe shipbreakers and was broken up at their Osaka shipyard in 1938.