From Our Contribution
HMNZT 10 Arawa
|Builder/Built||1907 Swan, Hunter & Wigham Richardson Ltd of Newcastle|
|Type||Steamship (twein screw)|
Built for the Shaw Savill & Albion Com Ltd of Southampton. The Arawa was part of the 1st Convoy from Albany to Alexandria, carrying 1,318 NZ soldiers (most of the Wairarapa Infantry were on her) and 215 horses.
In 1928 she was sold to Bernstein, Hamburh and renamed Konigstein. In 1940 she was owned by Etablissements Van Heyghen Freres SA of Antwerp who named her Gandia. On 22 Jan 1942 she sank after being torpedoed by U-Boat U135 during a voyage from Liverpool to St John New Brunswick carrying potash.