|Builder/Built||1908 Harland & Wolff, Belfast|
|Type||Passenger liner twin screw|
Originally owned by the Dominion Line on the Canadian routes and named SS Albany, however, the line was taken over by the White Star Line and the ship was renamed after Lake Megantic in Canada.
With the outbreak of war, she was called into service as a troopship in 1915. She was attacked in 1917 by the German submarine, U-43, but managed to escape unharmed.
Following the conclusion of hostilities, she was returned to the White Star Line in December 1918, and after a refit in 1919 to enlarge her 1st class accommodation, Megantic returned to the Canadian service from Liverpool. She had another refit in 1924 and after 1928 operated from London and Southampton. Off-season, Megantic was often used for cruising from New York to the Caribbean and in the 1930s, for economy cruises.
Megantic made her last Atlantic crossing in May 1931 and was then laid up until 1933, when she was sold for scrapping in Osaka.