From Our Contribution
|Builder/Built||1908 Germania Werft|
|Type||passenger / cargo ship|
S.S. Ypiranga was a German-registered cargo-steamer owned and operated by Hamburg-America Line shipping company. She was the first ship to enter Sydney Harbour flying the flag of the League of Nations.
Ypiranga served until 1919, when she was ceded to the United Kingdom as a war reparation and placed under White Line Management. In 1921 the Anchor Line assumed control of the ship and renamed her Assyria and used her on their Bombay run until 1929 when she was sold to a Portuguese company.
In 1950 there were plans to scrap the ship, but during the trip to the scrapyard under tow she broke free of her tug and wrecked near Campbeltown.