No.1 Recruit Depot RAAF

From Our Contribution


Brief History

The establishment of the Recruit and Technical Training Section at 1 Aircraft Depot, Laverton, Victoria, took place on 1 Mar 1935. The school was to train technical trainees, and was organised into three sections giving training in drill and physical training, trade training (metal riggers and fitter aero) and a reserve pool.

Trade training for other musterings was given 'on-the-job', when the men were not required to undergo drill. Wireless telegraphy and armament training were separate, becoming a part of the Depot Headquarters Squadron during June 1935. During August 1936, the section was reorganised into four flights: 'A' wireless telegraphy, 'B' trade training, 'C' drill and 'D' personnel awaiting courses or posting. The scope of trainng was enlarged. Service police refresher and initial training was combined and instituted during November, and training for physical education and drill instructors commenced in December 1936.

The section became known as 'Recruit Training Squadron' during September 1936, and assumed control of the Communications and Survey Flight on 3 May 1937. The organisation remained intact until it was mobilised on 3 Sep 1939. The unit becameNo. 1 Recru1t Depot on 2 Mar 1940, and moved to Ascot Vale, Victoria, on 19 Sep 1941. This was followed by its final move to Shepparton, Victoria during February 1942. From that date until the unit ceased to function, servicemen were trained, in addition to normal recruit training, as Drill Instructors, guards, aerodome defence instructors, air defence officers and Warrant Oficers (discipliary). Between March 1940 and when the last entry was made in the Unit History Records on 31 May 1945, 42,376 servicemen had graduated from No. 1 Recruit Depot.

Unit Personnel


Content has come from Units of the Royal Australian Air Force - A Concise History - Volume 8 Training Units - Australian Government Publishing Service - 1995 - page 80

External Links