No. 2 RAAF Recruiting Centre

From Our Contribution


Brief History

During April 1940 a recruiting detachment from Melbourne was established at Victoria Barracks. The detachment was moved from the Technical College Ultimo, Sydney, to Erskine House, York Street, where 2 Recruiting Centre was formed. In March 1940 the Centre was transferred to Dalgety's showrooms at Woolloomooloo. The Recruiting Centre also provided a mobile recruiting unit which toured country towns of New South Wales.

ln March 1944 the number of enlistments increased, especially ground staff. This was due to the increased numbers of people being released from previously reserved occupations which restricted people from joining the armed forces. With the cessation of hostilities in Europe in May 1945 the complete suspension of atrcrew recruiting was implemented. in August 1945 the war in the Pacific ended so all recCruiting and enlistments were terminated. The Recruit:tng Centre was disbanded on 14 October 1945.



Content has come from Units of the Royal Australian Air Force - A Concise History - Volume 9 Ancillary Units - Australian Government Publishing Service - 1995 pages 136 & 137

External Links