Olivers Hill Battery

From Our Contribution

Olivers Hill Battery.jpg
Current photo of Olivers Hill Battery

Brief History

Two 9.2inch guns were installed at Olivers Hill on Rottnest Island in 1938 (work had commenced during 1936), and Kingston Barracks was built to house the Battery personnel. As a result of a re-organisation of coast defence units the combination of permanent gunners and Militiamen were re-organised as Olivers Hill Battery. Their rle was to counter fire on any ship standing offshore attempting to shell Fremantle Harbour. The 6 inch guns would handle the close defence role. During 1944 VDC personnel became more and more involved in manning the guns on the mainland as their training progressed, releasing permanent gunners for other roles. However, they had a lesser role on Rottnest. In October 1944 Olivers Hill Battery was placed on a care and maintenance basis and the men dispersed.

Unit Personnel


Content has come from The Unit Guide - Volume 3 - The Australian Army 1939-1945, page 3.169 - Graham R McKenzie-Smith - Big Sky Publishing - 2018

External Links