From Our Contribution
Born on 11 August 1882 in Cornwall, U.K. Left Cornwall in April 1902 aged 20, and departed for Australia from London aboard the SS . After arriving in Western Australia, Knuckey first went to Kalgoorlie and then worked in Kalamunda. In 1903 he was drawn to the hills, valleys and rich soil in Roleystone. Chose 10 acres within the boundaries of Brookton Highway, Peet Road and Contour Road with intentions to establish an orchard. He worked in Kelmscott for wages for the next 18 years and on the weekends worked hard on felling trees and establishing the orchard. Knuckey's neighbours were Archie Cross, Hugh and John Buckingham and Lockyer’s property.
In 1921 he started a blacksmith’s forge on the Peet Road frontage. He married Mary Parker (1890 - 1969) in 1923 and they had three sons, Curnow Andrew Knuckey (1923 - 2014) ; Lloyd Parker Knuckey (1925 - 2002) and Kenneth Knuckey (1928 - 2009). The couple were members of the Roleystone Choral and Dramatic Society, Dawn of Peace Orchestra (which originated in Kelmscott), the Armadale Choral Society and the Armadale Boys’ Brass Band.
discharge date is unknown
In 1951 Knuckey closed his Blacksmith shop due to the horse yielding to the motor car. Richard and Mary then travelled to England and Scotland and in Wales met the brother of David Gwynne of Roleystone returning to Fremantle in October aboard the SS Moreton Bay. They enjoyed the trip so much and returned to England and Wales in 1954 for a seven month stay, returning home on SS Largs Bay which left Southampton on 5 Nov 1954, and arrived on New Year's Eve.. Richard was a Member of the Armadale-Kelmscott Road Board for 18 years (1929 - 1947) and also held the position of Chairman for his last year in 1946/47. Mary Knuckey died on 22 April 1969, aged 79.
[[Category:]] [[Category:]]2nd (Fremantle) VDC Battalion