From Our Contribution
Originally called SS Nieuwkerk, she was rebuilt and renamed SS Boschfontein in 1934 when her tonnage increased to 7,139 tons. Operated by the Holland - Africa Line she was used on the Rotterdam to Beira route. She successfully escaped Europe tot he United States and was put to war use immediately.
During WW2, SS Boschfontein was taken over by the American War Shipping Admin and converted into a troopship. Her voyages under US control in the Pacific began on 24 Sep 1941 when she transported the American volunteer group of 30 pilots known as the 'Flying Tigers", delivering them to Rangoon. She then sailed back to the US via Wellington in New Zealand. Boschfontein then settled down to a period of cargo carrying before carrying US troops as they moved around the Pacific theatre.
On 15 Jan 1946 she was returned to her owners, and in 1956 converted to a cargo ship named Boschkerk. Scraped in 1958 following an engine room fire.