SS Llanstephan Castle
From Our Contribution
|Name||SS Llanstephan Castle|
|Builder/Built||1913 Fairfield of Glasgow|
Owned by the Union Castle Mail Steamship Co she carried a crew of 250. Capable of carrying 213 First class, 116 Second class, and 100 Third class passengers. In 1917 she was requisitioned and refitted as a troopship and used as such until the end of the war.
After the war she returned to African duties until she had a refit in 1938.
During WW2 she operated as a troopship, but also carried evacuees at other times. 1941 on she was based in the Far East.
After WW2 she returned to Union Castle control, and in 1947 was refitted as a two class liner for African service. In March 1952 she was retired and scrapped at Newport Monmouthshire in Wales.