Victoria Park Memorial
|Name||Panels from original Victoria Park Memorial|
|Location||Corner George Way & Wharf Street, Cannington|
|Dedication Date||see history|
The original War Memorial was unveiled on 4 Aug 1917 on the corner of Albany Highway and Harvey Street, Victoria Park. Vandalised several times between 1920 and 1957, in 1957 it was replaced with a simple stone cross.
The tablets containing the names of those who had served were removed and given to the Victoria Park RSL. This sub branch went into remission for a time, and the tablets were transferred to the Canning Districts RSL. At the time they were photographed, the panels were set on the lawn of the Canning and Districts RSL.
Four (4) stained granite tablets with names inscribed in alphabetical order. Conditions for inclusion are unknown.
This Memorial was erected by the citizens of Victoria Park as a tribute to the men who rendered voluntary service to the Empire in the Great War. Aug 4, 1917.