113th Australian General Hospital
From Our Contribution
|Name||113th Australian General Hospital (Concord Repatriation Hospital)|
|Where formed||Concord, NSW|
|Date formed||11 Mar 1941|
Building commenced in late 1940, with it opening on 11 Mar 1941, but not formally opening until 26 Apr 1941. The first twenty patients had been admitted to Wards 1 & 2 on 7 Mar 1941. It serviced Australian and Philippine troops during WW2. It underwent several name changes, to 113th Military Hospital (Sydney) in November 1943 and as 113th (Concord) Military Hospital in January 1945.
From 1947 the hospital was transferred to the Department of Veteran's Affairs, with over 2,000 beds making it the largest hospital in the southern hemisphere. It served as the Repatriation Hospital for NSW until the facility was transferred to the State Health Service in 1993.
- Jack Bell 14 Dec 1942 - 13 Jan 1943
- Harold George Bell 22 Jan - 6 Feb 1945
- Macalister Adair Blain 24 Sep - 14 Dec 1945
Content has come from The Unit Guide - Volume 4 - The Australian Army 1939-1945 - page 4.107 Graham R McKenzie-Smith - Big Sky Publishing - 2018