2/13th Australian General Hospital
From Our Contribution
St Patrick's Boys School, Singapore
|Name||2/13th Australian General Hospital|
|Where formed||Caulfield Racecourse, melbourne|
|Date formed||11 Aug 1941|
|Capacity||600 - 1,200 patients|
The unit formed in Melbourne and when equipped it sailed from Melbourne for Singapore on 2 Sep 1941. Arriving there on 15 Sep 1941 it was established in St Patrick's Boys School on the south coast of the island. Between 21 and 23 Nov 1941 the hospital relocated to Tampoi in Malaya, where it increased its capacity to 1,200 patients. Most AIF casualties in the Johore area were treated by the hospital before it was forced to relocate to Singapore on 23 Jan 1942 where it established a 700 bed facility in its former location on the south coast.
Mounting casualties during the defence of Singapore soon over whelmed the facility and with defeat likely the nurses were evacuated on three ships - the last group on the Vyner Brooke. The hospital continued to treat injured troops after the surrender until the Japanese authorities forced all medical until to merge into one under British leadership.
- Bessie Christina Ellen Taylor 1 Sep 1941 - 1 Feb 1942