2nd Australian Stationary Hospital
From Our Contribution
Colour Patch for 2nd Australian Stationary Hospital
2nd Australian Stationary Hospital on Lemnos
2nd Australian Stationary Hospital at El Arish AWM JO3018
|Name||2nd Australian Stationary Hospital|
|Where formed||Perth, Western Australia|
|Date formed||August 1914|
|Capacity||1200 in Jan 1916 at Mudros|
|Locations||Cairo, HMHS Gloucester Castle,Lemnos Island, Ismailia, Sinai, Palestine|
Formed in Western Australia in August 1914, the initial staff departed Fremantle aboard HMAT A55 Kyarra on 4 Dec 1914. Originally located at Mena Camp in Egypt in Jan 1915, where it was concerned with the treatment of venereal diseases. The 2nd Australian Stationary Hospital moved to East Mudros on the island of Lemnos in June 1915.
Staffed by eight Officers and 90 other ranks, plus Nursing Staff of 25 drawn from 3rd Australian General Hospital & Canadian Stationary Hospitals. With ‘the rush of sick’ from the Peninsula, an ‘eleventh-hour’ effort was made to develop Lemnos as an intermediate military medical base. As part of that reorganisation, 2nd Australian Stationary Hospital was moved to West Mudros, landing on 4 August 1915 – a day before its sister unit the 3rd Australian General Hospital – on “a bare and road less hillside” (Butler, 286). “Pitched camp on No. 7 block and started to erect hospital & make roads” notes the unit’s War Diary on 5 August.
By August 13th it was treating 763 patients. On 16 Aug 1915, 12 nurses from 3rd Australian General Hospital replaced the personnel of the 30th British Field Ambulance who left for the Peninsula. Nurses from the Canadian Stationary Hospitals and 3rd Australian General Hospital were regularly detached to the hospital.
By September/October 1915, the 2nd Australian Stationary Hospital occupied sixty large marquee-tents, and had 1,200 beds and 25 nursing sisters – “making some 130 Australian nurses now on the island” (Butler, 388).
When the Peninsula was evacuated, 2nd Australian Stationary Hospital was transferred to Egypt, leaving Lemnos on 20 January 1916. They arrived in Alexandria on the 23rd, and entrained for Tel-el Kebir in the Canal Zone.
During August 1916 the hospital moved to Port Said where it provided general medical services until 19 Nov 1916 when it moved to Mahamdrya, remaining there until it relocated yet again to El Arish on 10 Mar 1917. Its next location was Moascar, arriving there on 27 Aug 1917. Here it received VD patients as well as casualties and general illnesses.
On 15 Jun 1919, 1 officer and 71 other ranks, the last of the 2nd Stationary Hospital staff in Egypt, entrained for Kantara where they boarded SS Essex for Australia.
- Harold Stinton 7 Dec 1915 - 22 May 1918
Egypt & Palestine
Soldier Patients by date admitted
HMHS Gloucester Castle
- Frederick Rawlinson 4 May - 9 May 1915
Tel-el-Kebir Egypt 1916
- William Harold Raynor 6 - 10 Feb 1916
- John Harold Rupert Smith 6-7 Feb 1916
- Edgar Leslie Livermore 14 Feb - 2 Mar 1916
- John Edward Thomson 27 Feb - 15 Mar 1916
- Alfred Arthur Martin 17 - 29 Mar 1916
- Henry Thomas (Harry) Brear 7 Apr 1916
- Walter Raymond Farnham 16 - 19 Apr 1916
- William Buck 26 - 27 Apr 1916
- Frank Ernest Cousens 28 Apr - 1 May 1916
- John Henry Holroyd 30 Apr - 6 May 1916
- Frederick Sidney Gladstone 2 May 1916 - ?
- George Harris 17 May 1916
- Ernest Clifford Noyce 20 - 22 May 1916
- Gordon Vidgen Cross 31 May - 16 Jun 1916
- William Buck 9 Jun 1916
- George Harris 17 - 25 Jun 1916
- William Buck 18 Jul 1916
- Beverley John Liddelow 1 - 14 Oct 1916
- Harold Stinton 9 - 17 May 1917
- Frank Orlando Dawson 18 May - 6 Jul 1918
- Archibald Roland Bunney 21 May - 1 Jun 1917
- Walter Cattach 24 Jul - 28 Aug 1917
- Harold Shepherd MID 4 Aug 1917
- Frank Orlando Dawson 19 May - 6 Jul 1918